Minutes of Lake Beseck Environment Committee May 23, 2018
1. Call to Order - Meeting was called to order at 7:28 p.m.
2. Members Present - Amy Poturnicki, Rick Santos, Craig Lundell, John Lindner, Randy Bernotas, Rob Poturnicki, Hannah Malcolm, Edward Bailey, Rebecca Adams
3. Approval of Minutes – Motion to approve the March 2018 minutes made by Rick Santos, seconded by Craig Lundell; passed unanimously.
4. Public Comment - None
5. Beach Project – Members walked the beach while Amy updated everyone on the progress of the various projects that continue at the beach. There was a delay with Kenny Jay beginning the retaining wall extension/drainage due to equipment being serviced but plans to begin this week. An additional dry well and swale is being planned with town to further assist with erosion in other areas; coir logs to be removed around sand dune once erosion to this area is resolved. Hannah was able to secure pilings that were generously donated and will be delivered possibly this week. They will be installed in place of the temporary wooden fence for a more decorative and nautical look. The breached drainage pipes on the north end of the beach was discussed; only partial planting can be done until the pipe repairs are made. The area continues to be very wet.
6. June Open House at Beach – Members discussed ideas for the June 16 open house at the beach to be held from 9:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. Larry Marsicano will be present to do the EnviroScape demo. Edwin Wong Ph. D. offered to speak about cyanobacteria. He will be doing cyano testing at the beach this summer. Educational materials and signs to be placed throughout beach in project areas. Other attractions such as boat rides, a tipi, breakfast, cotton candy, beach passes, “meet the lifeguards”, “meet the troopers” were discussed. Advertising was also discussed.
7. Misc. – Ed Bailey spoke about FY 2018/2019 budget, and funds added for Lake Beseck Remediation. He plans to re-appoint the Lake Beseck Ad Hoc Environment Committee at the next Selectman meeting. Hannah added that Park & Rec has funds to add lifeguards a couple of weeks early for additional beach coverage this year.
8. Adjourn – Motion to adjourn by Rick Santos, seconded by Randy Bernotas; passed unanimously. The meeting was adjourned at 8:25 p.m.
Respectfully submitted by Amy Poturnicki